ANGUS MACDONALD MSP SETS OUT BENEFITS OF EU MEMBERSHIP FOR FALKIRK EAST
Tuesday, 31 May 2016 11:58
SCOTTISH PARLIAMENT OVERWHELMINGLY BACKS AN ‘IN’ VOTE
Following a vote in the Scottish Parliament overwhelmingly backing a remain vote in the EU referendum, Falkirk East MSP Angus MacDonald has set out the benefits of EU membership for Scotland and urged people in Falkirk district to vote for Scotland to stay in the EU on June 23rd.
Last week the Scottish Parliament voted by 106 votes to 8 for a Scottish Government motion backing “Scotland and the rest of the UK remaining part of the EU”.
EU membership brings real benefits to Scotland’s economy:
- Over 300,000 Scottish jobs were estimated by the Centre for Economic and Business Research to be directly and indirectly associated with exports to the EU in 2011.
- The EU is the top destination for Scottish exports, receiving 42% of Scotland’s International exports in 2014, worth more than £11 billion.
- The right not to be discriminated against on the basis of gender, religion, disability, age or sexual orientation or on the basis of race or ethnicity.
- The right to 14 weeks maternity leave with at least statutory sick pay and the right to four months parental leave on the birth or adoption of a child.
EU membership also protects a number of hard fought for workers’ rights, including:
· The right not to be discriminated against on the basis of gender, religion, disability, age or sexual orientation or on the basis of race or ethnicity.
· The right to 14 weeks maternity leave with at least statutory sick pay and the right to four months parental leave on the birth or adoption of a child
Commenting, Falkirk East MSP Angus MacDonald said:
“With less than a month until the polls open for the EU referendum – it is vital that we speak up and speak out about the many ways in which the EU benefits Scotland.
“Whether it’s preventing the exploitation of workers, protecting the right to maternity leave or improving opportunities for young people to work and study abroad– the EU has a positive legacy of achievement in which we should be proud to have played our part.
“Access to the single market of 500 million people – with an estimated 300,000 Scottish jobs associated with exports to the EU – offers Scotland incomparable trading opportunities which are key to our future economic prosperity.
“Given the clear benefits of EU membership for Scotland, I would urge people in Falkirk district to join the overwhelming majority of the Scottish Parliament in voting to ensure that Scotland and the UK remains part of the European Union.”